Thursday, November 25, 2010

Mortar and Pestle Pesto


I set out to make a traditional pesto, but I didn't have pine nuts, and my new mortar and pestle I was so excited about didn't work all that well.  Maybe I'm using it incorrectly.  Here is a video that shows some delicious pesto applications besides pasta.  I can't edit videos, but I recommend skipping to minute 4:00 of this video and just watching what I do with the pesto.



As the seasons are changing I'm noticing some new items and old favorites in the shuk.  I was thrilled to see strawberries back in season.  We also have pomelos, quinces, and we're starting to see turnips, which I just tried today.  You  can also see pictured the enormous squash they call "pumpkin," and some giant cabbage.



2 comments:

  1. Great blog!

    Such a good idea to make pesto with a mortar and pestle. Sometimes I just don't feel like bothering with the food processor.

    After I read your post, I tried some spinach-and-walnut pesto with cous cous(!), grape tomatoes and sheep feta. Delicious.

    We get mozzarella in Yerushalayim, but it's expensive and I think tzfatit is a good alternative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I used tzfatit. (In the green pack with the goat herder on it?) It was very mild and it was a good balance for my extra sharp pesto. I used to make spinach pesto a lot. I would add lots of healthy nuts and things like flax seeds often requested this "green pasta." I love sheep feta, especially in the sun-dried tomato and basil pasta salad I'm going to post later.

    I'm actually disapointed with this mortar and pestle, but it worked fine for just bruising the basil enough the get the flavors out.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...