Friday, November 12, 2010

Homemade "Mayonnaise" with Dill and Onion on Whole Fish

I've mentioned my technique for making a sauce for fish from mayonnaise.  I thought it was time to demonstrate. 



Traditional mayonnaise would include whipping a pasteurized egg yolk into an emulsion, adding a couple drops of vinegar (or acid of your choice), then VERY slowly at first adding an entire cup of oil.  You can do this with a whip attachment on a hand blander or food processor.


For our purposes, I just want a tasty sauce to hold the flavor on the fish.  In this video I used a regular blade in my food processor becuase I don't want to use a separate piece for the whipping and then chopping the dill and onion.  I used:
1 whole egg
1/4 cup or 50 ml fresh squeezed lemon juice
1/2 cup or 125 ml olive oil
about 3/4 cups or half a bunch dill without stems
1 medium onion (I prefer red)
4 large cloves of roasted garlic (just because I had it)
Salt to your preference

Below is a clip of me putting the sauce on the fish. 



As I said, rinse the fish well.  You want to feel to make sure no scales are lingering.  It's not fun when scales sneak onto your plate and into your mouth.  Yuck.  My fish monger already "cleaned" the fish; took out the guts, scaled it and hosed it down (before hanging me my fishy change). 

This was my first time trying mullet and my second time trying little red tilapia.  Honestly, I prefered the amnon I made in "Trip to the Market and Food Tricks".

I baked these uncovered about 400 C or 295 F, about 20 minutes.
This is my big YouTube debut, as I've decided to let you see more than my hands.  Let me know what you think of the format.  Is it too boring to watch cooking in real time and not TV time?   Feel free to send me some video edited software for Chanukah.  For this episode I invited Hannah of CookingManager.com into my kitchen to record something I like to make.   Last time we went to her kitchen I recorded her making Challah and opening a pomegranate.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, I had fun. I am going to use less oil next time I make mayo to see if it turns out thicker.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...