Friday, November 12, 2010

Sweet Zucchini Muffins

Were you wondering what happened to the zucchini guts (shown below) from my stuffed zucchini?  I made muffins to celebrate some little successes in our family.  Including... Mazel tov on the one month anniversary of my blog!


I share Hannah Z.'s view expressed in her post "Odds and Ends Make the Best Muffins Ever" (Keen On Quinoa.)
"... You cannot mess them up. The following is merely a record of what I did- you can play with these however you want to. I'd recommend sticking with the basic proportions (2 eggs: 1.5 tsp baking soda: 1.5 cups flour, etc) but then make a mess of it!"

However, I was also inspired by Miriam Kresh (Israeli Kitchen) via Hannah K. (Cooking Manager) to actually measure and write down what I did.  So here it is, as close as a get to a recipe.  In theory you could actually do what I did and the same results.  (Like a delicious scientific experiment!)

1. Shred/grate:
3 zucchini or the guts of 4 zucchini (about 2 cups or 475 ml). 
3 carrots (about 1 cup or 240 ml).

2. Blend/mix, then add to above in a bowl:
2 eggs
1/2 cup (120ml) oil.  (I used olive oil and canola oil)
7 prunes
3/4 cups (175ml) brown sugar

 
3. Mix separately in a measuring cup:
2 cups whole wheat four
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda (That's all I had.  You could use 3/4 tsp baking soda and 1/3 tsp baking powder)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla sugar (alternatively you could add vanilla extract straight to the set of ingredients in step #2.)
1 cup raisins

4. Mix the dry ingredients into the wet by hand until the flour is just incorporated (don't blend smooth.)

5. Pour into greased muffin tins or a pan and bake at 350 F or 175 C for 14-25 minutes depending on how big your muffins or loaf.
 
Makes 24 large muffins.
 Last night I was telling my son he needed to go to bed so I could make "cup cakes".
Him: But you need to buy them.
Me: I'm going to MAKE them.
Him: Then you need a recipe.
Very keen.  And now I have one!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...