Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Comfort Food: Sweet Potato & Lentil "Salad"

This dish was inspired by Miriam Kresh's mush more elegant dish Sweet Potato and Lentil Salad on IsraeliKitchen.com.  I ignored Miriam's warning against overcooking the sweet potatoes and ended up making a delicious mush I would never serve to guests.  I'm almost embarrassed to post it, but it was yummy, easy, and healthy.  I would go as far as to say this may be a new guilty pleasure.

I simmered black lentils with a large red onion in a small pot and cubed sweet potatoes (yams/batata) in a larger pot.  I never would have thought of mixing lemon juice with date syrup and sweet potatoes, but it made a perfect dressing to add some complexity to the sweet potatoes.  I skipped the scallions and most of the olive oil, since my sweet potatoes had enough lubrication on their own.

Do you have any less than gourmet guilty pleasures?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...