Sunday, November 7, 2010

Uncommon Uses: Medicine Syringe and Melon Baller

In this post I want to feature two things you probably have in your kitchen and don't use often enough: A melon baller and a medicine syringe.

The medicine syringe I just thought of today.  I have a 1.5 kilo container of honey and I wanted to get a tiny bit on some pears.  I strongly recommend it the next time you want to drizzle any syrupy substance on cake, toast, etc.  I also plan to try it for piping icing and filling donuts.
The melon baller I use all the time.  Anytime I want to carve out a zucchini or winter squash, or make avocado salad.  When pears are in season I use it several times a day.  Just slice the pear in half, pull the stem with your fingers toward the center and use the melon baller on the seeds.  Look how much less waste I have when I use a melon baller to scoop the seeds out of these apples instead of cutting pieces from the core.

My kids like when I put cinnamon in the middle.
When my kids come home from school I try to have fruits and veggies ready.  Today for a treat everyone (including my husband) got a drizzle of honey and cinnamon in their little apples and pears.  My son loves red bell pepper and my daughter likes avocado.  You can see I used the melon baller to scoop out the avocado.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...