Monday, October 18, 2010

Oven Fries "Chips" & Sweet Potatoes

My kids go crazy over these "chips" and eat them with their fingers and, of course, ketchup.
1. Wash and cut a medium starch potato into sticks.  Preheat oven about 205 C or 400 F.
2. Put on a baking sheet with some oil.
3. Season liberally with what you like from: salt, pepper, paprika, smoked paprika, garlic powder, and onion powder.
4. Mix well and cook.  Optional: flip/mix when they are golden.
5. Leave it them in the oven until you smell them and they are looking dark.



We love sweet potatoes (batata).  My favorite way to make them is peeled, cubed, mixed with a little oil and a sometimes a dash of salt.  Spread them on a baking sheet and flip them when you smell them. Continue cooking until the smaller ones are thinking about burning.  (The potatoes in the picture below were cooked for 40 minutes, but I think it depends on the type and age of your potatoes.)  At this point the sugars are starting to caramelize and they are really delicious!



Both of the two potato recipes above are also good with ground up fresh garlic and or rosemary, better when you want to up the class for guests, but not always a favorite with kids.

2 comments:

  1. I make a similar potato thing but I season it with onion soup mix and it's delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Leor, I used to make the same thing with cubed white potatoes, but I quit when I started consiously cutting back on salt. (LOL, did I give you a guilt trip?)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...