Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Sourdough Brownie Bites with Rosewater

Today (Guest Worthy Wednesday) is a great day to mix up a batch of cookies and invite a friend over for tea.  These chocolate cake-like cookies are classy enough for adults, but will surely please any youngsters at the table.  A hint of rosewater* adds some whimsy and sophistication to this simple treat.

I'm particularly proud of this dessert because I had a certain taste and texture in mind, I measured and recorded what I did, and I succeeded in creating the cookie I set out to make!  I used my food processor; you can also mix by hand or use a stand mixer.  Here's what I did:


I started with 1/2 cup (120 ml) young sour dough starter.  Mine was a mixture of half whole wheat flour and half water that sat out for 4-5 days.  You can also purchase packed sourdough starter to mix with flour and water.
Add 1/2 cup (120 ml) warm apple juice, 1/2 cup (120 ml) brown sugar, 2-3 Tbsp (30-45 ml) agave syrup/nectar, 1.5 cups (355 ml) whole wheat flour, and 1-2 drops of rosewater.  *If you don't have rosewater, you can still make the cookies!  Try vanilla or mint extract.  I think 2 drops of orange extract plus some orange zest would be especially lovely.

Let sit, covered, preferably in a warm place, for several hours.

Add 1/4 cup (4 Tbsp or 60 ml) soft or melted margarine or butter,  1/4 cup (4 Tbsp or 60 ml) olive oil, and 1 egg.  Mix.

Mix separately, then add: 1/2 cup (120 ml) whole wheat flour, 5 Tbsp (75 ml) cocoa powder, 1 tsp (5 ml) baking powder, 1/2 tsp (3.5 ml) baking soda, and 1/2 tsp (3.5 ml) salt

Spoon out onto greased baking sheet or ungreased parchment paper or silicon mat.  Bake approx. 10 minutes at 190 C or 375 F.  They are done when a tooth pick stuck in the center comes out clean.  Makes about 3 dozen.




Hey Mom,
These are waiting for you in the freezer:

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...