1 gallon skim or lowfat milk
3/4 cup white vinegar, or a little less fresh lemon juice
1/2 - 1 cup half and half (Whole milk or heavy cream also works)
cheese cloth or tea towel
- Heat milk over medium heat until it is between 110-120 degrees F (43-49 C).
- Remove from heat and slowly pour in vinegar or lemon juice.
- Stir for 1-2 minutes while the curd separates from the whey.
- Cover and let sit at room temperature for half an hour.
- Line a colander with cheese cloth or a teach towel. Pour in curds and whey and let drain for 5 minutes.
- Gather the cheese cloth and rinse the curd under cold water while squeezing a crumbling.
- Squeeze curd as dry as possible and dump into a mixing bowl.
- Add 1 tsp of salt, more or less to taste. Mix and crumble curds to desired size.
- Add half and half prior to serving.