- 2 eggs
- 1.5 Tbsps cold water, seltzer/soda water, or cold broth
- 2 Tbsps oil or chicken fat (you could scrape it off the top of cold soup if you make it a day ahead)
- 1/2 cup matzoh meal
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pinch of pepper
- wide pot with top and minimum 5 inches of broth
- Beat together with a fork eggs, oil, liquid.
- Mix in matzoh meal, salt, and pepper.
- Refrigerate for about an hour. The matzoh meal needs time to absorb the liquid and chill well.
- Bring broth the a boil.
- Wet hands with cold water and form small balls.
- Simmer covered 20-35 minutes.
For matzoh ball tips and soup recipe see How to make great Chicken Soup.
You can make matzoh meal in your food processor from machine or hand-made shmura matzoh, or you can buy it plain or seasoned in little packets made by Manishevitz, Osem, etc. How do you like your matzoh balls? Firm or fluffy? Small or soft-ball sized?
Please comment with your maztoh ball memories!
For more on making broth, see
How to make great Chicken Soup
Stock Pile - or - What I Learned from My Snails.