Monday, January 17, 2011

Soup Fail; Good Beets


My first real pressure cooker experiment was not very tasty.  I attempted a vegan stew with heavy middle eastern seasonings, chick peas, barley, beets, and carrots.  (My own idea, not from a cookbook.)  I probably should have learned by now that my husband won't eat pink or purple food.

Because the chickpeas take longer to cook, I left the carrots and beets whole.  I cut one of three beets up and threw them back in my not-quite-right soup.  The other two pressure boiled beets, I dressed with cider vinegar, brown mustard, and a dash of salt.  They are delicious on their own or on a bed of greens (shown), and/or topped with toasted walnuts and blue cheese.

I tagged this as kid friendly, because I think most kids love beets.  However, they are a lot friendlier if your kids wear bibs and use a fork.

2 comments:

  1. Well, it sure is pretty! I'm so sorry it didn't come out as hoped. I love beets and am always looking for new ways to use them. Would love to know if you find a way to make this work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Yosefa!
    Thanks for visiting my blog and it is great to discover your blog , especially with one of my favourite vegetable: beetroot! I love the idea of putting walnuts and blue cheese with them!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...