Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Creativity Outside the Kitchen PLUS Recipe Links

I've been so tired lately.  Not up for much standing in the kitchen.  I don't know how much more cooking I'll be doing in the last six-ish weeks of my pregnancy or right after. I am planning a home birth, G-d willing, so maybe the labor pains will inspire an interesting kitchen creation.  In the mean time, I've been getting crafty with things I can do with my feet up.

At the beginning of the summer I learned bead-weaving from a great book - Beaded Allure.  I'm sure there are lots of good books out there, but after I read through this one I had the skills and confidence to make my own designs.  The pictures and instructions were very clear, and right now it's on sale for half what I paid.  I was instantly attracted to the more expensive plated beads and Swarovski Crystals.  Both in an out of the kitchen, I have always been inspired by great materials.  Beading is not the cheapest hobby, but I really enjoyed learning, designing my own things, and knowing that I have one more skill in my craft box.   Below from left: My first beaded necklace - trying an asymmetrical design; easy necklace from an instructor's design; heart for my daughter's backpack - figured it out myself; earrings and necklace made for my mom - my design with gold plate beads and Swarovski Crystals.




I've been wanting to learn how to knit or crochet for sometime, but kept putting if off, thinking, "How often do I/will I have two free hands?"  Last week I finally got to the store to buy some yarn and hooks and I learned to crochet from YouTube - a fellow blogger's suggestion.  I recommend Crochet Geek.  The new hobby came just in time for a week sick in bed.  I'm glad I went overboard buying yarn and hooks when I had the chance, because it really saved my sanity.  Below: Baby boots from YouTube tutorial - Rib Cuff Baby Bootie; netted snood - my first project, my own design; two views of a lamb doll I made - my own design, but inspired by the "blackberry stitch."


Around the blogosphere
Usually I read blogs while I hold and feed my little one, but she is getting more mobile and my belly is getting too big, so I'm a couple weeks behind on my favorite blogs.  While I catch up, I thought I'd give you a sampling:
Submitted to cakewrecks.com by Stephanie J. Baker

Coincidentally, Cake Wrecks posted some beautiful crafty cakes this week.

If you're looking for something to cook, Rochel of Barefoot and Cooking posted Earthquake Cookies. At Healthy Eating for Ordinary People, Rivki made Blueberry Pretzel Clusters (With fresh blueberries, salty pretzels, and chocolate, you can't go wrong!) and Roasted Peaches.

The Stuffed bottle squash, Nazareth style at Cafe Liz looks amazing.  Check out Liz's other resent posts to see mouthwatering pictures of Middle Eastern culture, fruit recipes with arak, and homemade pickles.  The Pretzel-Crusted Chicken With Mustard-Dill Dipping Sauce on The Lady Behind the Curtain looks easy and delicious.  


Amy of Simply Sugar and Gluten Free made Yogurt Cheese.  Hannah at Cooking Manager wrote an informative post about washing rice.

Country Mouse teaches pretzel making
A college friend of mine recently moved to a rural area of Northern Israel where she bakes from scratch and shares her recipes on her new blog Country Mouse Cooks.  Watch her make Sour Lemon Pie from picking the lemons through the meringue.  I am looking forward to trying her recipe for Soft Pretzels and the 5 Minute Gazpacho she posted.  Who better to blog about baking than a creative gal with a PhD in chemistry?  Keep up the great work Country Mouse!

I will be hosting the upcoming edition of Kosher Cooking Carnival (KCC).  Submit your links to Blog Carnival by September 23.

2 comments:

  1. wow thanks for the shout-out! Hope you feel well and that the birth goes smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your work is gorgeous. Do you sell it?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...