Thursday, February 2, 2012

Cauliflower Tabouleh

In honor of my Father-in-Law's arrival this evening I want to share a raw food salad made with his favorite food - cauliflower. I got the idea from the Good Eats episode "The Caul of the Flower." I combined it with my recipe for quinoa tabouleh, and got a delicious and very healthy salad, which only gets better after a day or two in the fringe.

Start with the dressing:
Using the chopping blade in the bowl of your DRY food processor, put salt and other seasonings of your choice like red pepper flakes and cumin. (I didn't use cumin this time because I was making it for someone with celiac disease and I wanted to be extra careful that none of my ingredients were contaminated with traces of gluten.)  Turn on the food processor and drop two cloves of garlic through the chute. Add the juice of two lemons (close to half a cup) and almost 1/2 cup olive oil.  Set aside in a large bowl for mixing. You do not need to wash out the food processor or the blade, but set aside this blade.

Gluten free "bulgur":
Using the shredding blade on your food processor, feed in only the florets (the outermost inch) of one head of cauliflower. Dump it into the mixing bowl with the dressing.


Herbs and veggies:
Switch back to the chopping blade and pulse to chop (Do not blend!) the following vegetables in batches, then add to the mixing bowl.
3 large tomatoes
1-2 cucumbers
1 large green bell pepper
1 large bunch of parsley
4-8 green onions (depending on their size)

Mix everything together and store in the fridge.

Don't waste the rest of the cauliflower!
While I was making the tabouleh, I also started a stock with the ends and peels from this and the previous few days. Check out my post "Stock Pile - or - What I Learned from My Snails." You can also peel the tough outside of the cauliflower stalk, slice it and roast it with olive oil.  I made a soup with the remaining cauliflower, potatoes and celery blended smooth, then I added a can of sweet corn.  It was easy and even my daughter liked it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...