Monday, July 11, 2011

Alfalfa Sprout Salad

Quick Tip: If you make a non-lettuce salad with sprouts and parsley, you can dress it ahead with no wilting.

My good friend Leor shared this recipe with me.  Her pictures are included.  She says, "You have to triple/quadruple the dressing for a big salad."

Ingredients 
romaine lettuce
alfalfa sprouts
purple onion
cucumber
strawberries
candied almonds

Dressing:
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
3/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
1/2 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
 2 tbls almond oil or canola oil

Did you know that the recent E. Coli outbreak in Germany was traced to organic bean sprouts (not cucumbers)?  Sprouts have been known to be problematic for harboring food-born illness.  If you are worried, grow your own sprouts!  It's easy and exciting.  Check out my post on growing alfalfa sprouts.

1 comment:

  1. This looks great. My kids love alfalfa sprouts but I never thought to make an actual RECIPE with them. I always just serve them plain. Good to know you can make this ahead of time. It would make a great take-to-work (or school) lunch.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...