Thursday, September 13, 2012

Rosh Hashana Menu

Beginning with Shabbat, tomorrow night, through the second day of Rosh Hashana, on Tuesday, there are six festive meals with barely one day to cook in between.  Since I'm having guests for five of those meals, I thought I might want to plan a menu. I don't want my the two young men staying with us to get hungry over the next six days and I want to make sure we have enough FRESH foods left for our big meal on Tuesday. I've had my hands quite full with my non-cooking activities, so I'll be relying on store-bought challah and dips, and uber-simple dessert.

Thankfully, most of my shopping is done, but I'm hoping to go to the shuk (market) tomorrow for fresh salmon and vegetables.
Pesto Zucchini

Here's my provisional menu:


Friday night
  • Turkey with tomato sauce, red wine, mushrooms, olives, and basil
  • Challah and dips
  • Rice
  • Lightly roasted zucchini with pesto sauce
  • Dessert: Mango


tabouli
Shabbat Brunch
  • Bagels
  • Variety of Cheeses
  • Smoked salmon
  • Simple tabouleh (bulgur wheat, parsley, mint, tomatoes, spices)
  • Green salad with olives, Tzfatit (mild feta) and Pecorino cheese
  • Dessert: chocolate candies


roasted veggies and chick peas
Sunday Night
  • Apples and honey, pomegranate, carrots, and other "simanim"
  • Challah and dips
  • Mafrum (from what I froze last week)
  • Roasted veggies and chick peas – cauliflower, bell peppers, sweet potato, carots, garlic, red onion (with curry seasoning)
  • Israeli salad (tomatoes and cucumbers)
  • Rice or Bulgur
  • Dessert: store bought cappuccino chocolate truffles


Roasted vegetable salad
Monday Lunch
@Lankin Family (Thank G-d!)

Monday Night
  • Challah and dips
  • Cold roasted veggies with lemon juice
  • Israeli salad (tomatoes and cucumbers)
  • Salmon with miso glaze and leeks
  • Potato kugel ?
  • Dessert: melon, or none


chicken with white wine sauce
Sunday Lunch (approx 13 people)
  • Store bought challah and dips (eggplant, humus…)
  • Sweet quinoa salad like this one at the end of Ari’s Post
  • A unique carrot tzimmes maybe almost like a fruit compote or something with curry or Asian seasoning
  • Cold Salmon with honey mustard tarragon sauce 
  • Potato kugel?
  • Chicken thighs TBA (maybe slow cooked with white wine, pears, mushrooms, and garlic)
  • Big green salad (lettuce based salad with Asian tehina dressing and lots of veggies) or Simanim salad
  • Cold roasted vegetables or warm pesto zucchini
  • Dessert: baked apples with streusel topping (also melon, watermelon, or mango?) 

So, what do you think? I don't normally share my menu. It seems personal, like inviting the public to a dress rehearsal. I don't usually even tell my husband exactly what I'm making. But since I had it all typed up anyway, I thought I might as well share it.  May you all have a good and sweet new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...