DISCLAIMER: Maybe I had a really good squash. I can't promise your soup will be as amazing as mine.
1. Peel (I used a vegetable peeler) and cube squash. Put squash in an oven-safe container, preferably something that is also stove-top safe. Lightly oil squash.
5. Roast in the oven until squash starts turning golden brown.
6. Chop a red onion.
7. Move squash to the stove top and add oil and onions. Fry onions. (If you're pot is going from oven to stove, fry onions while the squash is in the pot. If you need to transfer the squash, fry the onions first, then add squash.)
8. Turn down heat, add some beer or other flavorful liquid while scraping the bottom of the pot.
9. Squeeze out about 6 cloves of garlic.
11. Add salt, cinnamon, and fenugreek. (Optional: Pepper, ginger, rosemary, lavender, thyme, sage...)